Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Sultan of Swing




Forth-coming ...


Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris

All The Roadrunning...

...says the website http://www.mark-knopfler-news.co.uk/.

Having released moderately successful Solo Albums - Sailing to Philadelphia, A Ragpicker's Dream and Shanghri-La, and the intense world tour following Shangri-La's release (he was there in Mumbai too...so was I !), Mark Knopfler, the headman of the Dire Straits, has come out with a duet album with a particular Emmylou Harris (never heard of her b4!). Infact, the album will be released worldwide on 24th April...the song names seem interesting.

Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler are the reason, I, so to say, 'got into Rock'. It was the first day of the new millenium and I was in Delhi at my cuz's place. Thats when I first heard the sound of the groovy opening keyboard riff of 'Walk of Life'. That was followed up by them xtraordinary lyrics :

We've gotta install Microwave oven, Custom Kitchen Delivery,

We've gotta move these Referigators, We've gotta move these colour TVVVVVVVVVVs...

And the rest, as they say, is history. First album I bought was the compilation 'Sultans of Swing'. Couldnt stop there, couldnt have enuff of em, so On Every Street, Communique, et al. soon followed.

The crowning glory, without doubt, was March 5th, 2005, when MK performed live in Bandra - Kurla complex in Mumbaiiiiiii...and u bet, I was there. The T-Shirt's still there with me.

Lookin' fwd. to the next album, I wonder how he'll sound in a Duet with a lady.

The first song is called Beachcombing...rings a bell...isnt there a book by the name 'Beachcombing at Miramar' or sumthin...

2 Comments:

Blogger Amol said...

Knopfler's the man !!

7:34 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I am not a kind of rock freak.... But I do listen to a few of Dire Strait's.
Lets c how his next album goes with a lady....

ENJOy....
-JC

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home